Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The American Dream

To the invisible readers,

Through a messenger system (my friend Kaitlyn and AIM), I was lucky enough to learn the answers to a special type of question that I would like to ask a special type of person.


I always wanted to ask someone from another country why they would want to come to America?


The immediate response from unnamed Canadian undergraduate male on the other side of Kaitlyn's computer was "I came here for the American Dream!"

That really got us thinking about what the American Dream is. I understand that there are a lot of restrictions in other countries in comparison to our personal "freedoms" that we as citizens are granted here. I however don't really believe that the pursuit of said freedoms is the reason that people migrate around the world to our section of North America. There is one thing that I was hoping to get out of this fellow. It is something that we in this country can't live without. It drives about 60 percent of our actions. It fuels us when we have it, it ruins us when we don't.



THE Dolla Dolla Bill$ yo.

I then asked the gentleman, what he came to the country for other than the ability to make money here. There was a pretty long pause, and then he stated that he came here because he could build his future faster here. This was a really cool idea, because even though this has a little bit to do with moeny, I never really realized all of the resources that are available here in our country.

After this 2 question interview, I found myself tragically torn between feelings of patriotism and feelings that can only be described as unpatriotic. I was confused about our freedoms that seem to dwindle by the day despite what our Constitution grants us, the capitalistic view that plagues us all, and excitement over people coming here.


The moral of the story is, if you ever feel like you don't like the USA, talk to somebody who isn't a citizen of this country. They love it here.

With Liberty and Justice for All,

Brian

No comments: